The purpose of this study is to determine if treatment with bempedoic acid (ETC-1002) versus placebo decreases the risk of cardiovascular events in patients who are statin intolerant.
- Patient reported history of statin intolerance (inability to tolerate 2 or more statins, one at a low dose)
- History of, or at high risk for, cardiovascular disease (CVD) including coronary artery disease ( MI, coronary revascularization) symptomatic peripheral arterial disease, cerebrovascular atherosclerotic disease, or at high risk for a cardiovascular event.
- Further inclusion criteria apply
- Fasting blood triglycerides greater than 5.6 mmol/L at screening
- Recent history of certain cardiovascular disease including transient ischemic attack (TIA), unstable or symptomatic cardiacarrhythmia, use of an implantable pacemaker or implantable cardioverter defibrillators.
- History of heart failure
- Uncontrolled hypertension